Feelings of loss and disbelief are all over Aviano Air Base. You can sense peoples loss for words and lack of understanding everywhere. Our military community here is so small that even people who have no connection to any of the deceased are mournful. Brian's and my hearts hurt for the families; especially Liz.
Liz and Meka were in church Sunday, and just looking at them broke my heart. I have no way to comprehend their loss, but the tears just welled in my eyes. Oh, I was in awe of the strength that these two wonderful women have. I know God is just wrapping His arms around them. We cannot understand why this happened except that God has a plan. I tell myself everyday that God has a plan and He knows when each one of us will leave this earth. In this military world that we live in, lives are all too often cut short.
I have learned so much in these past few days. I have been constantly examining our lives as a family, as individuals, as a parent. What will our legacy be? Do we absorb all of God's glory? No, I can testify to that. No, I don't appreciate everything God has placed on this Earth. I keep thinking about this little, innocent question that Brian asked when we were looking at places to move to. Actually, I was looking at them and telling him about them via e-mail. One day he said, "I bet that Maniago house has a wonderful view of the mountains from the balconey." I honestly couldn't tell him yes or no. I was so wrapped up in the size, amenities, etc that I hadn't even noticed. So, when Brian got home from Iraq and I took him out to see the house the first thing that he noticed was the beautiful mountains. How blind could I be...the mountains. Those great, marvelous works of the Lord that stare me in the face everyday. Gosh, I really don't ever just stop and absorb God's miracles. How often do I sit back and just watch Kenners play? Not often enough. All too quickly our lives pass us by.
We spent Sunday afternoon as a family. Doing a bunch of nothing, but enjoying ourselves. We drove up the oh so obvious mountains to the lake. Missy, Rusty, and Kennedy had a wonderful time. Brian and I were freezing because we are so not used to dressing for the mountains. I brought a light jacket for K, a fleece vest for myself, and Brian had a sweater...who knew that it would be a good 15 to 20 degrees cooler just 10 min. up the mountain. After about 45min. out in the cold we were ready to get in the warm car. Needless to say, Missy was totally submerged in the water and panting. I guess God made sure that hunting dogs had the right kind of fur...the fur I find on my floor everyday. = )


(I love this pic of Rusty!)
Brian has left our family once again. He will be in Vicenza for the week, but will actually be back in Aviano for the memorial service on Thursday. I'm so glad that he's going to be able to stand beside me. I know that he will be there to comfort me as I experience grief for my friends and fellow military wives...6 men have left their families. Kennedy and I will be heading back to Vicenza with Brian on Thursday afternoon. We will spend the night with him, and K & I will do some shopping on Friday. Brian will have to clean up the gun range, bring weapons back, etc...all that Army stuff. It is weird to be in a quite house again. For almost 2 years I was without my husband, and for the past 3 1/2 months we have been together almost constantly. It is almost weird to have a moment to myself. Now, I must go to bed. Goodnight!



0 comments:
Post a Comment